Pleas entered in circuit court
Custom Search 2
Three Van Buren men charged with failure to register as a sex offender pleaded not guilty Wednesday in Crawford County Circuit Court.
Joshua Wayne Evans, 30, Williams Charles Livingston, 28, and Juan Ramo Ayala, 30, were arrested during an operation coordinated by the U.S. Marshals Service to target registered sex offenders who were not living at residences reported to police.
The public defender’s office entered the not guilty pleas and waived formal arraignment before Judge Gary R. Cottrell.
Other pleas heard Wednesday by Cottrell were:
• Timothy Gene Jeffcoat, 31, of Van Buren pleaded not guilty to theft of property. Jeffcoat is accused of taking checks, tools, wheels, tires and other items from a pickup truck July 20 to Aug. 3.
• Leon Daniel Russell, 26, of Fort Smith pleaded not guilty to theft by receiving. Russell allegedly sold 43,000 pounds of drilling heads valued at $328,500 to Yaffe Iron and Metal April 12-16, 2012.
• Christopher Michael Green, 41, and Steven Craig Elrod, 62, of Van Buren pleaded not guilty to possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of methadone and possession of a schedule VI controlled substance. Green and Elrod were arrested Sept. 11 by the drug task force during a sex offender compliance check at a residence in the 6100 block of Industrial Park Road.
• Leonard Bruce Slack, 51, of Van Buren pleaded not guilty to possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of methadone, possession of hydrocodone, possession of Xanax and habitual offender. Slack was arrested Sept. 15 by a Van Buren police officer who was investigating a disturbance in the 1000 block of North 28th Street.
• Horace Edward Pruitt, 65, of Alma pleaded not guilty to simultaneous possession of drugs and firearms, possession of drug paraphernalia, manufacture of methamphetamine, possession of methamphetamine, felon in possession of a firearm and habitual offender. Pruitt was arrested Sept. 12 after the drug task force received information about a working meth lab in the 8700 block of Arkansas 282 in Alma.
• David Wayne Stevens, 56, of Van Buren pleaded not guilty to two counts of violation of a protection order. Stevens is accused of going to his wife’s residence Aug. 7 and attempting to block her vehicle with his Aug. 24. The wife has a temporary protection order against Stevens, according to police reports.
• Jonathan Randall Doyle, 31, and Ernest Dale Lohman Jr., 48, both of Alma, pleaded not guilty to theft of property and habitual offender. Doyle and Lohman allegedly stolen a Moped from a residence in the 4900 block of Red Hill Road Sept. 12.
• Michael Vincent White, 35, and Brandi Jean Kahl, 32, both of Van Buren, pleaded not guilty to residential burglary and theft of property. White also is charged with habitual offender. White and Kahl are accused of stealing a refrigerator from a residence in the 2000 block of North Rudy Road Sept. 14.
• Christian Grace McCurdy, 25, of Van Buren pleaded not guilty to aggravated assault. According to a police report, McCurdy was passed out and slumped over the steering wheel of a vehicle which was running and rolling into an intersection when a Van Buren police officer attempted to turn off the ignition. When the officer reached into the vehicle, McCurdy allegedly accelerated and drug the officer several feet, causing injury to the officer.
• Steven Wayne Dye, 35, of Van Buren pleaded not guilty to aggravated assault on a family or household member. Dye is accused of threatening his mother with an ax Sept. 15.
• Rex Ellis Jones, 33, of Mountainburg pleaded not guilty to second-degree domestic battery and first-degree terroristic threatening. Jones is accused of throwing his girlfriend to the ground Sept. 5, threatening to rape her and leave her in a ditch.
• Skyler Lee Roberts, 26, of Fort Smith pleaded not guilty to failure to appear at an Aug. 21 inquiry hearing on charges of possession of marijuana with intent to deliver and possession of misbranded drugs.
• Karla Markeson Keller, 57, of Van Buren pleaded not guilty to failure to appear at a Feb. 11 plea or trial request on charges of commercial burglary and theft of property.
• Floyd Shepherd Jr., 55, of Fort Smith pleaded not guilty to failure to appear at a Feb. 13 petition to revoke hearing, alleging he has failed to pay restitution, fines and court costs on a May 27, 2009, conviction for theft by deception.
• Charles Thomas Turney, 33, of Alma pleaded not guilty to failure to appear at an Aug. 14 petition to revoke hearing, alleging he failed to pay restitution on a July 1, 2009, conviction for theft of property and breaking or entering.
• Charles Lafayette Thornton, 27, of Fort Smith resisted a petition to revoke a sentence he received Jan. 7, 2008, for commercial burglary, theft of property and theft by receiving, alleging he has failed to make payments toward restitution.